Counseling options for WHOI-based students
The physical and mental health of Joint Program students is essential to their success in the Joint Program and beyond. The following options are available to JP students who are based at WHOI and are in need of this service. Confidentiality is assured.
- WHOI Employee and Student Assistance Program – five visits at no cost to the student (request a provider in the Woods Hole area from the MIT Student Medical Plan to be able to continue with the same provider if desired)
- MIT Student Medical Plan and Student Extended Insurance Plan
- Coverage for MIT Mental Health Services - Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
- MIT Medical: Covered by Institute fees; no additional charge for registered students
- External Providers (for students covered by MIT BCBS insurance)
- In-network: 52 visits per calendar year at no charge; $5 copay thereafter.
- Out-of-network: Deductible is waived; first 52 visits covered in full up to the allowed amount; subsequent visits are subject to 20% coinsurance.
- A referral may be required for out-of-network providers (see MIT website for more information).
- Health Reimbursement Account – available for medical expenses that would not have been incurred if the student had been able to use MIT Medical; use for urgent or chronic care; $1000/year maximum